Thursday, September 29, 2011

On a More Personal Note

I have been so happy so far on the trip. Hardly anything has fazed me, which is completely surprising. The “honeymoon” travel excitement hasn’t gone away. Ever since we left home, I have loved exploring and figuring things out. It’s like a game each time we reach a new destination: figure out how to use the currency, learn how to communicate, find the closest supermarket, the best restaurant, the best bathroom, the post office, the time difference, the social customs, the cool hangouts, the healthiest places to eat, how to be frugal and resourceful, etc.

I had a dinner date with Anna, my closest friend on the trip, a few days ago and I think after talking to her I figured out why my time has been so enjoyable. It seems odd that I feel so comfortable considering the fairly extreme conditions we have been subject to. But I think I have subconsciously given myself a break for this trip - I am going easier on myself than I usually do. I’m not as diligent about my schoolwork, but I don’t feel guilty about it. Classes are so much more rewarding here because I am fully immersed; I’m not thinking about the homework I need to do when I get home or the emails I need to send. I haven’t had to budget my time as strictly. I am taking this time for myself and it has been so rewarding. I’m going to try to keep this attitude when I come back to “real” life.

I’m learning to accept that things will happen as they happen. I can’t do a whole lot to change them at this point. To be honest, I don’t really count on anything anymore – not in a depressing way, but in an open-minded way. I’m realizing that my unhappiness is often caused by the expectations I set up in my mind for the way I want things to turn out. Without these expectations, I am free to decide how to approach every situation. For right now, I feel liberated. I think the Buddhist philosophy we have been learning about has gone to my head.

I also realize that I’ve been pretty lucky so far. There haven’t been any huge mishaps or mistakes yet. I’ve been ripped off a few times, but that’s about it. But I’ve also been pretty vigilant and aware of my surroundings. We’ll see what happens as things start to speed up. Knock on wood.

2 comments:

  1. gracie girl! i can't tell you how happy this makes me, i'm so glad you're taking advantage of this opportunity to relax and give yourself a break and free yourself to experiences and adventures that you encounter. miss you!

    love,
    katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace - Thanks for these incredible insights into your experience. I love hearing about what you are learning and seeing - and am so happy you are taking the time to reflect on your adventure! Love you lots! Keep writing!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete